Sunday, January 3, 2010

What is GSHBB all about?

Honestly, I didn’t have a clear purpose for GSHBB when I launched it a couple of weeks ago, and I still don’t. Entahlah, maybe sebab aku tanak kena confined by anything. But here are some of the reasons why I’m doing this. The list may grow or shrink in the future.

  • An outlet for my tabs/transcriptions/arrangements – until aku ade buat beberapa tab yang aku tak pernah release. And it would be a waste if I don’t share it with anyone else.
  • Help improve the quality of Malay tabs/transcriptions – tab lagu-lagu Melayu ni susah nak jumpe yang berquality. By quality I mean that it’s as faithful as humanly possible to the original recording, and written in musically correct notations.
  • Tribute to the 80’s/90’s Malaysian rock scene – it’s true that most of those “rockers” have excessively flamboyant sense of fashion that don’t actually reflect their music. It’s true that their band sometimes have silly names. It’s true that most of them don’t compose their own music. It’s true that some of them secretly hire session guitarists for their recording. But it is part of my childhood, I grew up with it. So I embrace it, and I’m sure many people still do. Nama GSHBB yang poyo gile ni pon is inspired by this genre of music. :P
  • Share my knowledge – on the scale of 1 to 10 (10 being guitar grand master), I’d give myself maybe a 2, or 3 the most. I don’t consider myself a good player yet. I still have a lot to learn. But sejak professor engineering aku mase U dulu kasi aku ajar student dia for a semester, I knew that I love teaching. So aku nak share ape yang aku tau to other newbies. I’ve been playing for over 13 years now, but I’m not as good as I should be. Tapi aku akan share ape yang aku harap aku tau mase aku memula start dulu. And I’ll share some tips for learning songs by ear too. Hopefully that in some ways will contribute to properly transcribed tabs for Malay songs. I cannot make you a great guitarist. This is not intended to be your only source of learning guitar. But maybe it can be one of your many sources of knowledge.
  • I love guitar solos – aku ni sejak dulu lagi memang mostly bedroom guitarist jek. Guitar solo is a section of a song where a guitarist showcases his skills. Aku suke main gitar solo lagu-lagu kegemaran aku, pretending I’m a guitar hero in front of imaginary audience (by playing a real guitar, not the 5-button game controller). And transcribing other people’s solos is one way for me to learn what make their solos work from theoretical standpoint, so that it may help me improve my skills and knowledge in improvising.

1 comment:

  1. Tahniah!

    Saya dah dengar semua lagu-lagu tsbt.Macam petikan solo yg asal.

    good effort.
    Kalau boleh perbanyakkan lagi lagu yg pernah hit semasa zaman rock kapak.

    Hope you can try these following songs:I really love the song.

    1.Sentuhan kecundang-ekamatra
    2.memburu rindu-hattan
    3.fantasia bulan madu-search

    tq

    ReplyDelete